**UPDATE: Egypt’s Al-SISI is reported to have postponed the UN Security Council Anti-Settlement resolution vote**
Flood UN Ambassador Samantha Powers’ Office with Phone Calls & Urge her to Veto the Anti-Settlement Resolution TODAY.
Please call: 212.415.4404
The United Nations Security Council is scheduled to vote on an anti-settlement resolution TODAY at 3:00 p.m.
The resolution would call for the following:
– Israel “immediately and completely cease all settlement activities in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem”
– “All Israeli settlement activities in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including east Jerusalem, are illegal under international law and constitute a major obstacle to the achievement of peace on the basis of the two-state solution.”
– Continuing settlement activities “are dangerously imperiling the viability of the two-state solution based on the 1967 borders [sic],”
– The construction of Jewish communities in Judea, Samaria and eastern Jerusalem has “no legal validity and constitutes a flagrant violation under international law and a major obstacle to the achievement of the two-state solution and a just, lasting and comprehensive peace.”
– “Stresses that the cessation of all Israeli settlement activities is essential for salvaging the two-state solution.”
This language is carefully worded to purport to preserve the two-state solution; however, it is extremely problematic for Israel going forward in that it would give credence to the BDS movement and find settlements “illegal” as a matter of international law, which has dramatic implications too numerous to describe. It also would unilaterally determine one of the express items that was to be bilaterally negotiated solely by Israel and the Palestinians. Thus, it would change long-standing US policy if the Obama Administration failed to veto this UNSC resolution.